Dicksboro GAA Club


January 2015



There was a fantastic turn-out for the club’s juvenile agm tonight with up to 100 people present in the clubhouse on Friday night.

Newly installed chairman, John Treacy made an impressive start to his career in administration and was full of positivity. He said that the main thing during his tenure of office would be enjoyment for the children in a safe environment.

Glamour was provided by dentist, Yvonne Finlay who has taken over the role as juvenile secretary.

The new vice-chairman is Liam Kerwick while John Treacy will be the county board delegate.


25th January 2015

Intermediate Football League

Dicksboro 6-3 Danesfort 3-8

The Dicksboro football team won their first round intermediate league game against Danesfort by a point. Watched by up to 50 loyal club supporters at Palmerstown, the team came back from a three point deficit to win in the second half. Danesfort scored a consolation goal in the last minute and only when the final kick out was caught by the bloodstained Kevin Nolan was victory assured. Danesfort with Paddy Hogan in fine form raced into a two point lead before Dicksboro struck for a goal.

At half time it was 2-3 2-0 in favour of Danesfort.

In the first few minutes of the second half, the Boro pounced  for 1-1 and with the wind behind them, controlled long periods of the game before Danesfort came back into it, Danesfort who were crowned 2014 county junior champions two weeks ago were unlucky and could have put daylight between themselves in the Boro but didn't. For Dicksboro, Didi Molloy was solid in goal and varied the kick-out to great effect. The full back line gave their all with John Hanrick shining through in the second half. Wavy haired Mikey Hayes gave his usual 100% while Drew Phelan answered the call and acquitted himself well. The half back line was immense with Willie Cuddihy - playing despite having the flu -  a tower of strength.
Centre half back was Evan Cody and he played with the same passion he did the Sunday before in the Boro’s magnificent under 21 county final win.
On the other wing Darren Duggan was great until receiving a nasty (accidental) back injury. At midfield, bloodstained Kevin Nolan was immense, another great club stalwart with no airs and graces. Eoin Fennelly another hero of the under 21 championship got better and better as the game went on. Up front the flame haired fashionista, Paul O’Flynn was fantastic. Another great club man, he was superb and was aided and abetted by team captain and talisman, Eddie O’Donoghue while Cillian Starr proved why people think so much of him  as an  athlete. He was the difference between the two teams.
Inside the great Ger O;Donoghue set up lots of chances for those around him and Big Martin Gaffney was just a shining light. Every ball that was kicked into him he won while Darragh Holohan another hero of the under 21 success moved back in defence because of injurues and made a huge difference, Subs Graham Egan and James Murphy made telling contrbitions when coming on. The management ream of Tom O’Donoghue, Liam Scott, Niall Morrissey and Sean Keane did their bit on the line ably assisted by Frank Morrissey and club chairman, Eddie Holohan.


11th January 2015

Under 21 County Final

Dicksboro 1-16 Thomastown 3-10

In boxing parlance, it would be described as a sucker punch.  Six points to the good, the 'Boro under 21's looked set to lift the under 21 trophy, especially as there was only two minutes of normal time remaining but yet you could see that Thomastown were still hopeful of getting something out of this game.  Two late goals earned them a replay.  There was no fault from any 'Boro player or tactic, it was just one of those things that sport throws up every now and then.  The hope now is that it will make us better and more determined.

Thomastown played with the wind in the first half but still only managed to go in a HT leading by 1-8 to 1-5, their first five points coming from frees and their first score from play was on the twenty first minute.  Thomastown's break came after twenty six minutes when we failed to clear a ball on the 21 yard line, the ball breaking to a 'Town man whose shot was very well saved by Aaron Duggan, only to fall into the path of an oncoming John Donnelly who drove it to the 'Boro net.  Thomastown were now 1-7 to 0-4 to the good. The 'Boro replied almost immediately with an Andrew Gaffney free followed two minutes later by the goal of the day from Kevin Kenny.  Kevins goal started with a simple handpass from Aidan Nolan to Eoin Gough who in turn drove the ball 50 yards down the field to where Shane O'Brien worked hard to break it down.  Kevin latched onto the resulting breaking ball, went on a lightning twenty five yard solo before drilling the ball to the net.

HT Dicksboro 1-5 Thomastown 1-8.

The second half saw Dicksboro aided by the wind and we certainly made the most of it in the early exchanges.  After twenty two minutes, we had outscored our opponents by 0-9 to 0-1, as we lead by 1-14 to 1-9 and it looked like we had them on the ropes but we were to only score two more points in the remainder of the game, a game that had five minutes of injury time played at the end.  The two late Thomastown goals were a disappointment, but we didn't lose....

Match Photos by John Glynn

Video Clip on Dicksboro Facebook Page      Video Clip on Dicksboro Facebook Page


11th January 2015

Under 16 Roinn 'A' Football Final

Dicksboro 1-10  O'Loughln Gaels 4-4

Hard luck to the Dicksboro under 16 team who were narrowly beaten by O’Loughlin Gaels in the Roinn ‘A’ Football County Final on Sunday.  Both teams were evenly matched and indeed went in level at HT at Dicksboro 0-5 OLG 1-2.

The second half ebbed and flowed, OLG scoring a goal on three minutes only to be followed by an unanswered 1-3 from the ‘Boro to put us a goal ahead by the fourteenth minute, our goal coming from a penalty.  Back came OLG with an unanswered 1-2 which gave them a two point lead, a lead that the ‘Boro were to claw back to bring the game level again after twenty eight minutes.  A goal from OLG on twenty nine minutes secured the game.

Panel: Johnny Minogue, David Ryan, Sean Boyd, Cian Butler, Joe Sheehan, Evan Carroll, Liam Kennedy, Cillian Timmons, Chris Kavanagh, Edward Moylan, Brian Cleere, Oisin Gough, David Campion, Kieran Galvin, Jack Condren, Eoghan Moylan, Mark Nolan, Liam Brennan Smyth, TJ Stynes, Liam Stynes, Stephen Cass, Jack Connelly.

Video Clips on Dicksboro Facebook Page


Niall Lacey (on behalf of the Lacey family) and Frank Morrissey
(Games Chairman) present the Patsy Lacey Dicksboro 'Player of the Year' Award to Cillian Buckley at the recent Club AGM.

3rd January 2015

Under 21 Northern Championship Final

Dicksboro 2-10 Bennetsbridge 0-14

For a split second, memories of the final moments of our minor county final came flashing back, as Kevin Brennan bore down on the ‘Boro goal in the dying seconds of our under 21 JJ Kavanagh Northern final today.  Dicksboro had thrown the kitchen sink at Bennettsbridge to prevent lightning striking twice but still Kevin got his shot in from 15 yards out, struck with determination and venom but saved by ‘Boro keeper and captain, Aaron Duggan.  Seconds later the full time whistle blew and the ‘Boro were Northern champions by two points.

This was not the ‘Bridges only chance on goal, an early first half effort was charged down by Aidan Nolan to come off his helmet and go over the bar while Evan Cody, more than once, thwarted what could have been a goal.  Our defence was severely hampered in the first half as they faced into a glaring low sun. To a man, each ‘Boro player made a significant contribution to this victory.  Bennettsbridge had two points registered when Conor Doheny supplied Robbie Murphy to score our first point after eight minutes but the ‘Bridge followed this with two pointed frees.  Midway through the half Darragh Holohan was moved out into the half forward line and the positional switch may have caused some confusion in the opposition defence but moments later Robbie Fitzpatrick latched on to a breaking ball twenty yards out and struck a sweet shot into the net.  The game was now level at 1-1 to 0-4.  Darragh followed up with a point which was added to by one each from Eoin Fennelly and a pointed free from Andrew Gaffney to give the ‘Boro the narrowest of advantages at HT by 1-4 to 0-6.

Within four minutes of the start of the second half, Bennettsbridge were level, the first of five times that the two teams would be level in this enthralling half, a half in which no ‘Boro player stood back from ball nor man in what was the best team display from this group so far this season.  Early on, Andrew Gaffney kept the scoreboard ticking over in our favour with his free taking skills and when Robbie Fitzpatrick won a ball on the side-line and delivered a pinpoint pass across the field to Darragh Holohan who promptly buried it in the net, it looked like the game was changing our way as we nosed into a three point lead.  This was to last for all of four minutes as the ‘Bridge clawed back to parity.  When Peter Turley came on for the hard working Shane O’Brien, his first tough was to slip the ball over the bar from fifty yards.  On twenty nine minutes, the game was level again at Dicksboro 2-8 Bennettsbridge 0-14 and then we entered what was to be the last four minutes of frantic play when every half-block and touch was vital.  Andrew Gaffney and Eoin Fennelly sealed the victory in what was a tremendous team effort.

FT Dicksboro 2-10 Bennettsbridge 0-14

Match Photos by John Glynn

Panel:  Aaron Duggan (Capt), Aidan Nolan, Evan Cody, James Gittens, Jim Dollard, Eoin Gough, Rory Glynn, Robbie Fitzpatrick (1-0), Eoin Fennelly (0-2), Robbie Murphy (0-1), Conor Doheny, Andrew Gaffney (0-5, 0-4 frees), Conor Fitzpatrick, Darragh Holohan (1-1), Shane O’Brien, Peter Turley (0-1), Bill Sheehan, Jamie Byrne, Eoin Cantwell, Stephen Tynan, Enda O’Donoghue, James Murphy, Alex Quinlan, John Hanrick, Ruairi Morrissey, Stephen Farrell inj, Kevin Kenny inj.