Dicksboro GAA Club

July 2014


Dicksboro GAA Club hosted its third annual summer camp last week and yet again what a huge success it was. Over 240 children attended this year, which was a significant increase on last year’s numbers and a sure sign that it is becoming well known as THE summer camp to attend.  The camp included many different activities such as hurling, football, handball, basketball, tag rugby, the Cube, team building exercises and thankfully the weather held up for the week and so all activities could be held outdoors.  The range of activities that the children can enjoy at this camp is what makes it so different to others.  A visit from Kilkenny hurlers, Cillian Buckley, Richie Hogan and Padraic Walsh on Friday put a smile on all the children’s faces as they queued to get autographs and photographs with their heroes. Each child received a ‘Boro Camp 2014 T-Shirt and the week came to a conclusion on Friday evening with a BBQ and the children got to play a variety of different games for the last time together.  A very special thank you to John and Gráinne Timmons who are the driving force and chief organisers of this very important event in the Dicksboro calendar.  Thank you also to all the coaches and numerous background helpers without whom this Camp would not be possible, Mick Byrne for his daily attendance and assistance and Michael Clifford for doing a handball workshop.

Camp Photos

28th July 2014

Junior 'B' North Championship

Dicksboro 2-12 Barrow Rangers 2-12

This was a game that could have been won, could have been lost and so we cannot complain too much with the draw.  A bit of luck is always handy to have when playing any sport and we had our fair share in this game, both of our goals being rather fortuitous.  The 'Boro were two points behind before an Eddie O'Donohgue free started the ball rolling followed shortly afterwards by an Aidan Nolan point from an acute angle.  Eddie proved to be the driving force for the 'Boro and was our top scorer on the night, scoring 0-6 of our HT score of 1-10.  Our first goal, scored on the 30th minute of the first half resulted from a forty metre effort for a point by James Murphy that dipped below the crossbar to give us a HT advantage of 1-10 to 0-7.

Rangers started the second half just like the first, scoring the first two points before an O'Donoghue long range free was fumbled by the Rangers goalie and dropped into the net and when Ger O'Donoghue added a pointed free four minutes later we found ourselves eight points up.  The 'Boro held the lead up to the twenty sixth minute when Rangers drew level and the score was to remain unchanged for the duration of the game.  In truth, we were under pressure for large portions of the second half but despite this we did have three chances to win the match in the last five minutes, all of which regrettably driven wide.  The match will now be replayed.  

Panel:  Alan Purcell, Drew Phelan, DD Molloy, Conor Marahaj, Jamie Lynch, Ruairi Morrissey, Jessie Watters, Eddie O'Donoghue, Aidan Nolan, Stephen Farrell, Graham Egan, Jim Dollard, Ger O'Donoghue, Peter Fitzpatrick, James Murphy, Conor Fitzpatrick, Marc Cudmore, Philip Dunne, Robert Crotty, Stephen Tynan.

20th July 2014

Junior 'B' North

Dicksboro 2-13 St. Lachtains 1-19

A 10 minute blitz at the start of the second half, in which they outscored the ‘Boro by six points to one was enough to give St Lachtains Freshford a 1-19 to 2-13 win in this round 3 of the Junior B league championship in Freshford on Sunday afternoon.  Things started very well for the ‘Boro with James Murphy stealing in behind his man to finish into the back of the net with only 30 seconds of the game gone, Eddie O’Donoghue tapped over a minute later to put Dicksboro 1-1 to 0-0 up after four minutes. The men from Freshford battled back though and a goal on nine minutes gave them a one point lead. The Boro kept plugging away and some nice scores from Ger o Donoghue, Peter Fitzpatrick and Eddie O’Donoghue frees put them back in the ascendance. With the match nearing half time St Lachtains broke through and looked odds on to score another goal only for Diarmuid Molly to pull off a fantastic block on the line. A long range point in stoppage time from Conor Maharaj sent the Boro in one up at half time 1-7 to 1-6.

The Freshford men came out for the second half like greyhounds from a trap and took their chances clinically, another goal line clearance this time from Drew Phelan prevented the game from going too far out of Dicksboro’s reach. Freshford had quickly opened up an eight point lead but the Boro men never gave up, battling hard but with little reward. With 28 minutes gone in the second half Peter Fitzpatrick popped up to scramble home a goal that gave the Boro renewed belief, St Lachtains were rattled as Dicksboro cut the deficit, unfortunately for the Boro time ran out and Freshford held out to win by 3 points 1-19 to 2-13.

Match report by Kevin Nolan

Panel: A Purcell, D Phelan, DD Molloy, R Morrissey, J Lynch, D Scott, P Dunne, J Watters, C Maharaj, Enda o Donoghue, Eddie o Donoghue, P Fitzpatrick, G o Donoghue, G Egan, J Murphy. Subs: A Nolan (Maharaj), R Crotty (Dunne), J Dollard (G.O.D) and S Farrell (Watters).

15th July 2014

Minor Roinn 'A' League

Dicksboro 2-17 Bennetsbridge 0-23

Dicksboro’s minor Roinn ‘A’ team drew their latest league game against Bennettsbridge last week in a tough contest.  There is a lot of very strong teams in this league this year and all our games so far have been very competitive.  Eleven minutes had ticked by before our first score, a point, but the ‘Bridge had not been waiting as long as they already had 0-5 to their credit.  A goal from the ‘Boro midway through the half turned out to be our only score from play in the first thirty minutes, the half ending at Dicksboro 1-4 Bennettsbridge 0-12.

Some Jaffa cakes and some serious talking during the HT interval transformed the ‘Boro and in less than four minutes of the start of the second half, we were level and three minutes after that, we were three points up at 2-10 to 0-13.  Bennettsbridge dug in and brought themselves back into the game and sixteen minutes in, we were level again.  Fortunes fluctuated with both sides putting their noses in front at various time but as we hit the thirty minute mark the ‘Boro scored a point to draw the game at 2-16 to 0-22 with only injury time to play.  In a tense last couple of minutes of injury time, the ‘Boro scored first but a ‘Bridge point in the dying seconds left the game ending in a draw, which was on balance a fair result. 

Panel: John Hanrick, Cian Butler, Jim Dollard, Ronán Butler, Robert Crotty, Aidan Nolan, Alan Phelan, Thomas Kenny, Conor Fitzpatrick, Conor Doheny, Corey Cahill, Robbie Murphy, Bill Sheehan, Andrew Gaffney, Jamie Byrne, Evan Carroll, Oisin Gough, Aaron Malone, Shane O’Gorman, Kieran Dunne, Adam Clifford, Dara Lynch, Jason Carroll, Liam Kennedy, Travis Fahy, Brian Power, Shane Stapleton, Richie Stapleton.

12th July 2014

Senior Hurling League

Dicksboro 1-15 Danesfort 1-15

The fourth round of the Senior Hurling League versus Danesfort was played in St John’s Park today in overcast and windy conditions. Having lost two of their first three games Danesfort had the greater incentive to do well and to try to move out their joint fifth position in the League table. Success for Dicksboro would leave them in the upper end of the table and away from relegation battles. This combined to produce a keenly contested and tight game. After near misses at both ends early on Ollie Walsh, in the third minute, opened the scoring with a point into the wind at the town end. This lead did not survive long as Richie Hogan goaled in Danesfort’s next attack. Danesfort’s lead was quickly extended with two frees from Hogan and a point from Cathal O’Neill. Not to be out done Dicksboro produced two points, one each from Paul O’Flynn and Andrew Gaffney before Shane Maher brought the teams level in the tenth minute with a goal. The teams went point for point to the interval with Ritchie Hogan, four points (0- 3 from frees) and Cathal O’Neill two points. The Boro’s five points were provided by Stephen Farrell, Paul O’Flynn, Cillian Buckley (free), Andrew Gaffney and Shane Maher to leave Danesfort leading by a single point at half time. (1.09 to 1.08).

Danesfort continued where they left off with two early points, a Hogan free and Cillian Treacy before Shane Maher steadied matters for the Boro with a twelfth minute point. Hogan added a further free and together with an O’Neill point left Danesfort leading by four points by the 15th minute. The final quarter was Dicksboro’s most dominant period with a pointed free by A. Gaffney followed by points from play from Stephen Farrell, Kevin Kenny and Shane Maher with Danesfort’s only score being another pointed free by Hogan. With five minutes on the clock Danesfort lead by a point, Hogan pointed his ninth free. The Boro’s answer were two well taken points from frees by Andrew Gaffney. The result leaves Dicksboro in the third place in the League with 5 points from four games, behind the Rower Inistioge and James Stephens, both on 6 points from their four games. This situation means that Dicksboro’s final League game, scheduled for Aug 16th against James Stephens, will decide the top two league positions.

5th July 2014

Junior 'B' Championship

Dicksboro 0-20 Erins Own 2-10

Dicksboro picked up there first win in the Junior B league championship, with a hard fought but well deserved victory over Erins Own in a wet Castlecomer on Saturday Night. The Boro produced by far the better hurling in the first half and knocked over some excellent scores from all angles and distances, with the returning Eddie O'Donoghue playing like a man who had never been away. Eight points without reply gave the Boro a sizable lead heading towards half time, but a Erins Own goal on the stroke of half time kept them in the game.

HT Score Dicksboro 0-12 Erins Own 1-4.

The second half saw the two teams exchange points, with the 'Boro once more tapping over some nice efforts, in the end 10 different Boro men would put there name on the score sheet. As the game entered the last five minutes the Erins own attack broke through the 'Boro defence only for Alan Purcell to pull off a wonder stop diving to his left to stop what seemed a certain goal. 'Comer did hit the net from the resulting 65 but the Boro held strong to win on a scoreline of 0-20 to 2-10.

Match report by Kevin Nolan.

1. Alan Purcell
2. Enda o Donoghue
3. Ciaran Gough
4. Drew Phelan
5. Jaime Lynch
6. Eoin Fennelly
7. Philip Dunne
8. Eddie o Donoghue
9. Conor Maharaj
10. Peter Fitzpatrick
11. Stephan Farrell
12. Graham Egan
13. Ger o Donoghue
14. Gary Lynch
15. James Murphy

Subs: Aidan Nolan, John Hanrick, Kieran Dunne, Robert Crotty, Jaime Byrne, Jim Dollard

1st July 2014

Aylward Cup

Dicksboro 3-14 Ballyhale Shamrocks 1-12

The third round of the Aylward Cup took place in Ballyhale on Tuesday night in glorious sunshine. Dicksboro got off to a flying start with a second minute point from Shane Maher quickly followed by a goal by Kevin Kenny who was put through by Martin Gaffney. Ballyhale’s response was an eight minute point. The Boro had control of the mid part of the first half during which they scored a goal and a point from Marco Ruesmann and Paul O’Flynn to leave the score 2.02 to 0.01 after twenty minutes.

The Shamrocks added to their tally with two points from frees in the 23rd and 24th minutes. The teams swapped points before half time with Martin Gaffney scoring two long range points and Michael Fagan getting on the scoreboard in injury time to leave the interval score 2.05 to 0.05.

Ballyhale started the second half far better and had three points on the board, two from frees, before Paul O’Flynn got the first of six unanswered Dicksboro points. Shane Maher with three, one from a free, Gaffney, after probably the best scoring movement of the night, and wing back Michael Fagan getting his second of the evening leaving the score at 2.11 to 0.08. Scoring honours were shared from there to the end with the Boro scoring 1.03 from Gaffney, Maher and Rory Glynn, a point each and the Boro’s third goal coming from substitute Eoin Fennelly.

The Dicksboro performance was a significant improvement on the previous outing against Dunnamaggan. With two wins and a draw after three games Dicksboro lead the group table by a point from Ballyhale. Next outing in the Aylward Cup is scheduled for Tuesday 15th July against Tullaroan in Palmerstown. Meanwhile the next round of the Senior Hurling League is down for decision for Saturday 12th July against Danesfort in St John’s Park at 7.30 p.m.