Dicksboro GAA Club


October 2012 


28th October 2012

Senior Hurling Championship

Dicksboro 1-15 James Stephens 0-16

For the first time since 1994, our senior team have reached the Kilkenny County Final and they have deservingly done so by defeating over neighbours, James Stephens, who were reigning champions. We are now in both the Minor and Senior finals and we'll leave it to someone else to say when that happened last. It was only natural that both sides would start slightly nervously and this showed itself on the scoreboard when after eight minutes the score was level at 0-1 each and both teams had squandered a few chances. There was an exciting 60 second spell on the twelfth minute when firstly Paul O'Flynn had a good goal chance that unfortunately it was driven into the side net and then the Village hit the post and the ball was cleared for a 65, which was converted. Another goal chance came our way on the seventeenth minute when Shane Maher drove a pile driver that returned off the post and so things were looking good at this point in that we were creating real chances but at the same time trailing by 0-6 to 0-3. A point from Paul and a pointed free from Martin Gaffney nudged us closed but our break came when Cillian Buckley drove a free from our back line straight to Shane who's handpass found Ollie Walsh who rifled the sliothar into the top corner of the Village net. Advantage Dicksboro as the Village were now suffering as a result of the number of wides they had driven. Points were exchanged and the teams went in level at HT Dicksboro 1-6 James Stephens 0-9.

Martin Gaffney lead the way at the start of the second half with two pointed frees within three minutes, one from 100 yards. Minutes later we had a setback when Cillian Buckley, who was playing a stormer, had to be replaced as a result of a leg injury. Eoin Larkin was keeping the Village in the game, single handedly, and brought the game back to level pegging at 1-8 to 0-11 after seven minutes. A Martin Gaffney free on eleven minutes and an inspirational individual point from Paul on fourteen minutes put us back ahead and there we were to remain until Larkin again put the Village back level with yet another free after twenty six minutes. Minutes earlier we had yet another goal chance when Davy Ryan blasted a shot that was bravely saved by the Village keeper. It was now a case of who was going to hold their nerve the best and that turned out to be the 'Boro with points from Davy Ryan, Martin Gaffney and an excellently worked final point converted by Kevin Kenny on thirty three minutes after O'Flynn saw him run into space and his pin point through ball made it easy for Kevin.

Eight different 'Boro players scored in this semi final which is very encouraging. The Village's reliance on Larkin, who scored eleven of their 0-16 tally was telling. Of course nothing is won yet, but it's nice to be in the final.

Match Photos by John Glynn

Panel: Aaron Duggan, Kieran Cuddihy, Danny Kenny, Enda Malone, Michael Fagan, David Glynn(Capt), Robbie Fitzpatrick, Cillian Buckley, John Fagan(0-1), Martin Gaffney(0-8, 0-7 frees), Oisin Walsh(0-1), Ollie Walsh(1-0), Kevin Kenny(0-1), Shane Maher(0-1), Paul O'Flynn(0-2), Cillian Breathnach, Davy Ryan(0-1), Kevin Nolan, Cillian Starr, Philly Hogan, Eoin Gough, Tom Manning, Rory Glynn, Michael Rafter, Mikey Hayes, Stephen Farrell, Eoin Fennelly, Eddie O'Donoghue, David Carroll, Jamie Lynch, Darragh Buggy, Darragh Holohan, Evan Cody.


26th October 2012

Presentation of prizes following the sponsored race at the Dicksboro Greyhound Benefit Night



20th October 2012

Senior Hurling Championship

Dicksboro 3-15 St. Martins 0-19

This five point win over St. Martins in the quarter final of the Championship is a sure sign that this team is going from strength to strength the more the Championship progresses. We were worthy winners. Our county man, Cillian Buckley took the leaders role by settling us down with two early points in the first four minutes. Yet again our defensive lines looked very solid and St. Martins had to wait until the fourteenth minute to register their first point from play, although they did have two from frees and remained goal-less in the game despite putting us under relentless pressure in the closing minutes as they tried to salvage the game with goals. Midway through the first half the sides were level at 0-4 when Kevin Kenny supplied Shane Maher who scored his and the 'Boro's first goal of the day and this was enough for us to maintain a lead at HT by 1-8 to 0-9.

St. Martins had the best of the starts in the second half, notching up three unanswered points in the first eight minutes, the last of these from Robert Shore in front of goal when a goal seemed on. Thankfully he drove it over the bar. A Martin Gaffney free soon followed and within minutes there was a scramble for the sliothar in the Martin's six yard box when Shane came charging in to sent it to the net. We were now on top again and that was the way it remained as we grew in confidence.

Match Photos by John Glynn

Panel: Aaron Duggan, Kieran Cuddihy, Danny Kenny, Enda Malone, Michael Fagan, David Glynn(Capt), Robbie Fitzpatrick, Cillian Buckley(0-3, 0-1 free), John Fagan(0-1), Martin Gaffney(0-7, frees) Oisin Walsh, Ollie Walsh(0-1), Kevin Kenny(1-0), Shane Maher(2-2), Paul O'Flynn(0-1), Cillian Breathnach, Kevin Nolan, Philly Hogan, Eoin Gough, Cillian Starr, Mikey Hayes, Tom Manning, Rory Glynn, Michael Rafter, Evan Cody, Stephen Farrell, Davy Ryan, Eoin Fennelly, David Carroll, Jamie Lynch, Darragh Buggy, Darragh Holohan.


14th October 2012

Senior Hurling Championship

Dicksboro 2-15 Dunnamaggan 0-12

The signs were looking ominous for Dunnamaggan from an early stage of this championship game (relegation semi final), when at 0-1 each and only four minutes gone, Paul O'Flynn had a goal chance but he did not make a full connection and so failed to score. The first of the 'Boro goals was to come only a few minutes later, when a ball worked out of our defence, made its way to Martin Gaffney, who obliged. Our defensive lines looked rock solid throughout this game, so much so, that Dunnamaggan did not have one single clear goal chance from play in the game. The 'Boro were awarded a penalty in injury time when Paul O'Flynn was pulled down in the square and a goal was on. Martin Gaffney's effort was driven straight down the middle only for the goalie to deflect it over the bar for the last point of the half. HT Dicksboro 1-7 Dunnamaggan 0-6.

With less than one minute of the second half played, Robbie Fitzpatrick drove a long ball out of defence, straight to Paul, who put over our first point of the half and giving us the perfect start. A pointed free followed from the 'Boro and on the eight minute Dunnamaggan got a twenty metre free and went for goal which was saved and put out for a 65, which was missed. This was a crucial period of time in the game as within one minute, the 'Boro had another goal on the board, this time from Kevin Kenny and the scoreboard read, Dicksboro 2-10 Dunnamaggan 0-6, with eleven minutes of the second half played. Our opponents did reply with three unanswered points, but we were playing with unity and never looked like relinquishing our lead. FT Dicksboro 2-12 Dunnamaggan 0-12. This is our second win in a row and this team continue to grow in confidence with every outing.

Panel: Aaron Duggan, Kieran Cuddihy, Danny Kenny, Enda Malone, Michael Fagan, David Glynn(Capt), Robbie Fitzpatrick, Cillian Buckley(0-1), John Fagan, Martin Gaffney(1-10, 0-8 frees) Oisin Walsh, Ollie Walsh, Kevin Kenny(1-1), Shane Maher, Paul O'Flynn(0-3), Cillian Breathnach, Kevin Nolan, Philly Hogan, Eoin Gough, Cillian Starr, Mikey Hayes, Tom Manning, Rory Glynn, Michael Rafter, Evan Cody, Stephen Farrell, Davy Ryan, Eoin Fennelly, David Carroll, Jamie Lynch, Darragh Buggy, Darragh Holohan.


7th October 2012

Senior Hurling League

Dicksboro 0-18 Graigue/Ballycallan 0-15

Dicksboro senior team played their last game in the group stage of the league today in Nowlan Pk against Graigue/Ballycallan. This may not have been a classic, but the objective was to win. Job done, more to do. Dunnamaggan are our next opponents in the first round of the championship and so all games from now on carry high stakes. Five times the sides were level in the first half in our game against Graigue in what turned out to be a goal-less game. That was not to say there was not goal chances, Aaron Duggan was called on to make a spectacular save whilst Paul O’Flynn saw his shot go narrowly wide after some very good work to put himself in a scoring position in the first half. HT Dicksboro 0-8 Graigue/Ballycallan 0-6. The second half was much the same for the first twenty one minutes, neither side taking control of the game. At this point, when the sides were again level, the ‘Boro scored four unanswered points to give us a lead of the same margin. A couple of late points from Graigue and a pointed 65 in injury time from the ‘Boro left the FT score Dicksboro 0-18 Graigue/Ballycallan 0-15. Panel: Aaron Duggan, Enda Malone, Kieran Cuddihy, Danny Kenny, Michael Fagan, David Glynn, Robbie Fitzpatrick, Cillian Buckley, Ollie Walsh, Martin Gaffney, Eoin Gough, Kevin Kenny, Cillian Starr, Shane Maher, Paul O’Flynn, Cillian Breathnach, Tom Manning for Cillian Starr, Stephen Farrell for Martin Gaffney(inj), John Fagan, Kevin Nolan, Philly Hogan, Michael Rafter, Mikey Hayes, Rory Glynn, Eoin Fennelly, Evan Cody, Stephen Farrell, Davy Ryan, David Carroll, Jamie Lynch, Oisin Walsh, Enda O’Donoghue.

Match Photos by John Glynn Video Clips


6th October 2012

Under 14 Roinn 'A' County Final Replay

Dicksboro 2-12 O'Loughlin Gaels 0-10

This Roinn ‘A’ Under 14 County Final replay was played in splendid conditions in immaculately turned out Thomastown today in front of a large attendance. Dicksboro were totally in charge in the first half, notching up 1-2 in the first four minutes which would have settled them down nicely. O’Loughlins first score, a point, came from a long range free on the sixth minute and they were unable to add to this until the twenty seventh minute with another pointed free. Dicksboro, meanwhile, were consistently adding to their good start with a further goal and five points before the interval. HT Dicksboro 2-7 O’Loughlin Gaels 0-2. O’Loughlins came out in the second half determined to make a game of it, driving low balls in to the ‘Boro square in the hope of scoring a goal. The goal did not come, due to some sterling ‘Boro defending and brave goalkeeping. O’Loughlins kept to their task and continued attacking and the ‘Boro were for a time on the back foot as the Gaels kept putting points on the board. For this game to really spark into life, it needed an O’Loughlins goal but as this did not come, the ‘Boro were able to maintain their commanding position to finish deserving County Champions on a final scoreline of Dicksboro 2-12 O’Loughlin Gaels 0-10.

Video Clips Photos

Panel: Colin Dempsey, Eoghan Moylan, Cian Butler, David Ryan, Justin Cahill, Evan Carroll, Johnny Manogue, Chris Kavanagh, Liam Kennedy, Mark Nolan, Alan Corcoran,Joe Sheehan, Oisin Gough, Edward Moylan, Brian Cleere, Gavin Byrne, Sean Boyd, Jack Condren, Harry Duggan, Cillian Timmons, David Campion, Conor O'Mahony, Kieran Galvin, David Delahunty, Sean Foley, Stephen Cass, TJ Stynes, Liam Brennan Smyth, Liam Stynes, Jack Connolly, Gavin Walsh, James Griffin, Tadhg Butler, Charlie Buckley.