Dicksboro GAA Club

Mercy was on Fr Kieran O'Shea's mind on Sunday morning after he finished saying Mass at St Canice's Church. He admitted that the Gospel he had just delivered spoke about mercy but asked that the Boro hurlers show no mercy to Clara in the first round of the senior league in James Stephens' new grounds on the Kells Road.
However, in the last five minutes of the game they showed too much respect and were too merciful to Clara who scored two unanswered points.
However it was a goal conceded by the Boro defence after 42 minutes that left them trailing by two points.
In contrast, the Boro had a number of goal chances which were squandered and the younger players might have been better off taking points. It's a hard lesson but one might just pay dividends  in tight matches later in the season.
Darragh Holohan had the teams level just after that and when Andrew Gaffney pointed from a free the Boro were a point up and looking hood.
However, that was as good as it got and Clara finished the  stronger thanks in large measure to goalie. Kevin Nolan who had a fantastic game and denied the Boro two goals late in the game.
That was the story of the match, Clara made the most of the ball they got.
A few missed frees also cost us dear but were not the winning or losing of the match.
It was a great performance and the  team were really unlucky to go down by three points to Clara with the final score 1-15 to 0-15.
The Boro were a point down at half time and statistics for the first 30 minutes showed that Clara converted 71% of their chances during that period while the Boro converted 36% of their chances.
To be honest the most important thing to come from this game was the performances of the younger players, from last year's under 21 team who played well and demonstrated they are well able. Richie Mulrooney and his selectors  have a lot to ponder but have the nucleus of a good, young team and the future looks bright.
in some ways a lack of experience might also have been a factor.
Has to be said that Boro midfielder Eddie O'Donoghue was denied a perfectly good point in the first half when the ball was wrongly adjudged to have crossed the sideline.
Left half forward, Kevin Kenny was particularly impressive with three points from play.

Team: A  Duggan, K Cuddihy, E Cody, R Fitzpatrick, M Fagan,  C Buckley, E Gough, E O'Donoghue, E Fennelly, D Holohan, O Walsh, K Kenny, A Gaffney, M Gaffney, P O'Flynn.
Subs; Robbie Murphy (who was excellent) came in for injured Martin Gaffney early in the first half and Eddie O'Donoghue also went of hurt and was replaced by Adrian Stapleton for the last 10 minutes.
Scorers: A Gaffney 0-7, K Kenny 0-3. D Holohan 0-2, P O'Flynn 0-1, M Gaffney 0-1, R Murphy 0-1