Dicksboro GAA Club

Seniors 2011

1st October 2011

St. Canice's Senior Hurling Championship

Dicksboro 1-10 O'Loughlin Gaels 2-11

If it was needed, todays game against O'Loughlin Gaels in Nowlan Pk in drizzly conditions, was testament that the 'Boro seniors are able to play at the highest level in Kilkenny and are no whipping boys as may have been perceived following our league campaign. The first half was low scoring from both sides and we had to wait until a Cillian Breathnach puckout in the ninth minute was fielded by Oisin Walsh who in turn hand passed to Derek O'Gorman to score our first point. There was to be no other score for six minutes when Eddie pointed his first free of the day to make the game level at 0-2 each. This was the first of five occasions that the sides were to be level over the course of the game. Martin Gaffney now scored the first of his two points in this half to give us the lead for the first time on seventeen minutes. Martin's second came from a quickly taken sideline that was sent across the field to an unmarked Gaffney. When the half time whistle blew, O'Loughlins were probably ruing their eight wides in the half as they trailed by a point. HT Dicksboro 0-5 O'Loughlin Gaels 0-4.

The second half was on eight minutes before Eddie pointed another free, followed four minutes later by an Ollie Walsh point to put us three points in front. Our full and half back lines were performing very well, closing out our antagonists at every opportunity. O'Loughlins were not to score until the fourteenth minute when a high ball delivered into our box was deflected to the net. We immediately regained the lead with an Adrian Stapleton point and with only nine minutes left in the game we were still in front by 0-9 to 1-5. Another goal from O'Loughlins at this stage was the start of a strong finish as they scored 1-6 in the last ten minutes of the game as our challenge abated. A late goal from Eddie from a 21 yard free meant O'Loughlins had a winning margin of four points. Final score: Dicksboro 1-10 O'Loughlin Gaels 2-11. This was a very good overall team performance from the 'Boro and on another day the result could have been different.

Panel: Cillian Breathnach, Danny Kenny, Kieran Cuddihy, Michael Fagan, Kevin Nolan, David Glynn, Enda Malone, Eddie O'Donoghue(1-4, 1-3 from frees(Capt), Martin Gaffney(0-2), Derek O'Gorman(0-1), Oisin Walsh, Ollie Walsh(0-1), Paul O'Flynn, Adrian Stapleton(0-1), David Ryan, Sam Morrissey, Philly Hogan for Danny Kenny (inj), Eoin Gough for Davy Ryan(inj), Shane Maher(0-1) for Eoin Gough, Conor O'Loughlin for Oisin Walsh, Cillian Starr, Paddy Henderson, Michael Rafter, Tom Manning, Mick Hayes, Conor Maharaj, David Carroll, Rory Glynn, James Maher, Darragh Buggy, Jamie Lynch, Gary Gaule, Eoin Fennelly, Evan Guilfoyle, Brian Dollard, Jessie Waters, Aaron Duggan.

24th September 2011

St. Canice's Senior Hurling Championship

Dicksboro 2-16 Clara 1-17

We had to endure a nail biting finish to this first round championship (relegation semi final) replay against Clara today in well presented Jenkinstown, but more of that later. With only seconds gone in the game Cillian Breathnach was called into action when he saved what looked to be a certain Clara goal. Indeed it was not long before Philly Hogan half blocked another Clara effort that was destined for the 'Boro net, only for it to go over the bar. This game started in a similar way to last weeks in that it was Clara that were doing all the running in the early stages, leading by 1-5 to 0-2 after nine minutes, with our points coming from Eddie O'Donoghue frees. The game started to change for us three minutes later, when one of Cillians puck outs was superbly caught by Oisin Walsh who then handpassed to Paul O'Flynn who converted it to maximun points, goal. A couple of more pointed frees from Eddie and a very good point from Davy Ryan left the score at HT Dicksboro 1-7 Clara 1-10.

We set out our intent at the start of the second half when Derek O'Gorman pointed within fifteen seconds of the start. Three Paul O'Flynn points in a row, one following a driving solo run brought the game back to level at 1-12 each after fourteen minutes. We did edge in front when Enda Malone who was still playing in the wing back position put himself on the scoreboard. Both teams exchanged points over the next few minutes until Shane Maher, who had only come on a few minutes earlier, pounced on a ball which was delivered low and pulled first time on the ground to drive the sliothar into the corner of the net.

We were now in for a frantic finish with the stakes so high. Clara made it a draw game on twenty nine minutes('Boro 2-14 Clara 1-17) but thirty seconds later we had edged in front again with a Martin Gaffney point. A further 'Boro point on thirty one and a half minutes gave us a dangerous two point lead, meaning that Clara needed a goal to win. Clara were awarded a soft free forty five yards out and put it into the 'Boro box but heroic defending kept the ball out. Our defence was now under continuous pressure as we awaited the final whistle. Another Clara free, twenty five yards out was hit with blistering speed low and hard, but was again repelled. With thirty four minutes and eleven seconds gone, the referee sounded the final whistle, which was met with great joy and relief by the 'Boro supporters and players.

With the monkey of relegation off our back we will now face O'Loughlin Gaels in the quarter finals and who knows what will happen.

For those interested in stats, of the 'Boro's 1-7 in the first half, 1-2 came from play. In the second half we scored 1-9, 1-8 of which came from play.

Clara's tally of 1-10 in the first half, comprised of 1-4 from play whilst their second half tally of 0-7 comprised of 0-4 from play.

Match Photos by John Glynn

Panel: Cillian Breathnach, Danny Kenny, Kieran Cuddihy, Philip Hogan, Michael Fagan, David Glynn, Enda Malone(0-1), Eddie O'Donoghue(0-6 frees)(Capt), Martin Gaffney(0-1), Derek O'Gorman(0-2), Oisin Walsh, Ollie Walsh, Paul O'Flynn(1-3), Adrian Stapleton(0-1), David Ryan(0-1,Sam Morrissey, Kevin Nolan for Philly Hogan, Shane Maher(1-0) for Davy Ryan, Cillian Starr(0-1) for Eddie O'Donoghue, Conor O'Loughlin, Paddy Henderson, Michael Rafter, Eoin Gough, Tom Manning, Mick Hayes, Conor Maharaj, David Carroll, Rory Glynn, James Maher, Darragh Buggy, Jamie Lyncj, Gary Gaule, Eoin Fennelly, Evan Guilfoyle, Brian Dollard, Jessie Waters, Aaron Duggan.

18th September 2011

St. Canice's Senior Hurling Championship

Dicksboro 0-17 Clara 1-14

Clara lived to fight another day when they scored an equalising point three minutes into injury time of this first round championship game held in Jenkinstown. Dicksboro played in their white jersey's whilst Clara donned the green. Playing with a strong wind in the first half, Clara made good use of it to go 1-3 to 0-0 ahead before we scored our first point from a free. Playing with an extra defender we were on the back foot until the twenty second minute when another Eddie O'Donoghue free was the start of a six point unanswered run from the 'Boro to put us back into the game and trailing by only one point. Two points from Clara in injury time of the first half meant the HT score was Dicksboro 0-8 Clara 1-8.

It was now our turn to play with the wind and on a day when pointed frees from 100 yards were not uncommon, we drew level after seven minutes. We were not able to press home our advantage however and there was never more than a point between the sides for the remainder of the match. We did gain the lead when we converted a 65 on the thirtieth minute and were looking good for a win, when Clara were awarded a free that was sent up field before being put over the bar. It proved to be the last puck of the game and both sides will have to meet again next weekend to decide who will contest the relegation final.

FT Dicksboro 0-17 Clara 1-14

Panel: Cillian Breathnach, Danny Kenny, Kieran Cuddihy, Philly Hogan, Michael Fagan, David Glynn, Enda Malone, Martin Gaffney(0-1), Eddie O'Donoghue(0-9,0-8 from frees), Derek O'Gorman, Oisin Walsh, Ollie Walsh, Paul O'Flynn(0-4), Adrian Stapleton(0-3), Davy Ryan, Conor O'Loughlin for Derek, Shane Maher for Davy, Sam Morrissey, Kevin Nolan, Tom Manning, Michael Rafter, Paddy Henderson, James Maher, David Carroll, Gary Gaule, Evan Guilfoyle, Michael Hayes, Darragh Buggy, Rory Glynn, Eoin Gough, Jamie Lynch, Eoin Fennelly, Aaron Duggan

Match Photos by John Glynn

19th August 2011

Tom Hogan Cup Final

It took Davy Ryan all of about ten seconds of the throw in to register the 'Boro's first point and put us on the road to victory over Graigue Ballycallan in the Tom Hogan Cup Final, a tournament run by the Tullaroan club. Points from Eddie O'Donoghue and Cillian Starr soon followed and with nine minutes gone we were 0-5 to 0-1 ahead and defending well. The Kilmanagh outfit did bring the game back to level at six points after nineteen minutes but this was as close as they got as we started to pull away again. A goal from Eddie shortly before the half time break, followed by a pointed free meant the score at HT was Dicksboro 1-9 Graigue Ballycallan 0-6.

Three unanswered points at the start of the second half from Cillian, Davy and Eoin Gough put us into an even more commanding position and when Michael Rafter saved a Graigue Ballycallan penalty after nine minutes the omens were looking good. The numerous 'Boro substitutions made during this half performed very well. Captain on the day, Philly Hogan accepted the cup and very nice trophies were presented to the players.

FT Dicksboro 1-17 Graigue Ballycallan 0-15

Panel: Cillian Breathnach, Michael Rafter, Kieran Cuddihy, Enda Malone, Philip Hogan, Danny Kenny, Kevin Nolan, Conor O'Loughlin, Ollie Walsh, Derek O'Gorman, Oisin Walsh, Davy Ryan, Cillian Starr, Eddie O'Donoghue, Eoin Gough, Sammy Morrissey, James Maher, Paddy Henderson, David Carroll, Darragh Buggy, Michael Hayes, Aaron Duggan, Conor Maharaj, Eoin Fennelly, Mason Clifford, Marco Ruessman.

13th August 2011

St Canice's Credit Union Senior Hurling League

'Boro supporters came to Nowlan Pk this evening in the hope that a win over O'Loughlin Gaels would see us out of the relegation semi finals. Early optimism when we went into a two point lead within six minutes soon faded as O'Loughlins asserted their authority on the game to lead at half time by Dicksboro 0-7 O'Loughlin Gaels 2-11.

A number of positional and personnel changes by the 'Boro management team in the second half failed to stem the O'Loughlin flow, who pressed home their advantage to cruise to a 0-10 to 3-16 victory. We will now have to play Clara in a relegation semi final.

Panel: Cillian Beathnach, Michael Rafter, Kieran Cuddihy, Philip Hogan, Kevin Nolan, Michael Fagan, Enda Malone, Derek O'Gorman, Ollie Walsh, Paul O'Flynn, Tom Manning, Eddie O'Donoghue, Cillian Starr, Adrian Stapleton, Davy Ryan, Sam Morrissey, Danny Kenny(for Enda Malone,inj), Paddy Henderson, Conor Maharaj(for Paul O'Flynn), Michael Hayes(for Philly Hogan), Martin Gaffney(inj), Evan Guilfoyle(for Cillian Starr), David Carroll, Mason Clifford, Darragh Buggy, James Maher, Aaron Duggan, Conor O'Loughlin( for Adrian Stapleton).

Match Photos by John Glynn

29th July 2011

Tom Hogan Cup

Emeralds were the opposition in the Tom Hogan Cup which is a competition run by the Tullaroan club. This was to be a very free flowing game in which we were to score 2-19, which is a very respectful score but when you consider that all but one of these scores came from open play, it makes it even more unusual. Eight different players scored on the night. Emeralds had the better of the opening exchanges and went into an early 0-5 to 0-1 lead before Martin Gaffney got a hat trick of points to bring us back into the game. Conor Maharaj was instrumental in setting up a number of our points in the first half. Our first goal came after Adrian Stapleton fought hard to retain the sliothar before supplying Davy Ryan who did the honours. Leading by 1-10 to 0-9 we headed into the last minutes of the half but the half time score could have been different as the Emeralds full forward bore down on goal but was held out by the combined efforts of David Carroll and Paddy Henderson.

Good work from our younger players, Eoin Gough and Mason Clifford lead to some of our early scores in the second half. The excellent work of Cillian Breathnach and Kieran Cuddihy in stopping what seemed a certain goal was unfortunately followed a minute later by an Emeralds goal to put them back in the game. Two more points followed from Emeralds to draw the game at 1-15 each. Evan Guilfoyle had only come on but made an immediate impression by scoring 1-1. Another point blank save from Cillian kept us in the game while points from Adrian Stapleton and Davy Ryan closed out the game at Dicksboro 2-19 Emeralds 1-18.

Panel: Cillian Breathnach, Michael Rafter, David Carroll, Paddy Henderson, Mason Clifford, Kieran Cuddihy, Phil Hogan, Derek O'Gorman, Conor Marahaj, Tom Manning, Martin Gaffney, Davy Ryan, Cillian Starr, Adrian Stapleton, Eoin Gough, Collins Connolly, Rory Glynn, Evan Guilfoyle, Aaron Duggan, Eoin Fennelly, Michael Cotter.

10th July 2011

St. Canices Credit Union Senior Hurling League

A great win over Tullaroan has given us all to play for in our next and last group stage game against O'Loughlin Gaels on 13th August. While we are still in the danger zone at the moment a victory against O'Loughlins and Carrickshock to lose against the Village would be enough to take us out of the relegation semi's.

The 'Boro were deserving winners of this encounter after Eddie O'Donoghue opened our scoring with a point after one minute and from that moment we were always ahead. Eddie was to add five more before the end of the half(four from frees), whilst Davy Ryan added two and Derek O'Gorman, Adrian Stapleton, Ollie Walsh and Paul O'Flynn added one each. HT Dicksboro 0-12 Tullaroan 0-7.

Tulloaroan did start the second half well with a couple of points but at no stage in this half did they come closer than two points. On the nineteenth minute we were awarded a penalty which was converted by Eddie to give us a lead of 1-16 to 0-13 and put us in an even more commanding position. We continued to press ahead and finished at 1-18 to Tullaroan's 1-14, their goal coming from the last puck of the game.

Panel: Cillian Breathnach, Michael Rafter, Kieran Cuddihy, Philip Hogan, Kevin Nolan, Michael Fagan, Paddy Henderson, Derek O'Gorman(0-1), Eddie O'Donoghue(1-9) (1-6 from frees), Tom Manning, Martin Gaffney, Ollie Walsh(0-2), Adrian Stapleton(0-2), Paul O'Flynn(0-1), Davy Ryan(0-2), Sam Morrissey, Cillian Starr, Michael Hayes, Conor O'Loughlin, Jamie Lynch, Evan Guilfoyle, Darragh Buggy, Conor Maharaji.

Match Photos by John Glynn


21st June 2011

Michael Lyng Motors Aylward Cup

Dicksboro suffered their second loss out of three games in the Aylward Cup against St. Martins in Palmerstown this evening. Conor O'Loughlin was unfortunate to pull up within the first fifteen seconds and was replaced by Derek O'Gorman. The twenty sixth minute saw the teams level at 0-8 each and this was the fourth occasion that the teams were level up to this point. We had a good spread of scorers with points coming from Adrian Stapleton, Eddie O'Donoghue, Michael Rafter and Ollie Walsh. St. Martins, however were not finished and notched up a further 2-2 before half time while we were held. HT Dicksboro 0-8 St.Martins 2-10.

Ten minutes into the second half, each team had added a further 0-3 each with our scores coming from Ollie Walsh, Kevin Nolan (following a handpasss from Derek O'Gorman) and Davy Ryan. A goal midway through the half from St.Martins put us on the back foot as they were now leading by 0-12 to 3-13. While Adrian did pull on a low ball and send it to the net, the necessary rally did not materialize and we found ourselves at the wrong end of the result. FT Dicksboro 1-15 St. Martins 3-17.

Panel: Sammy Morrissey, Mikey Hayes, Kieran Cuddihy, Philip Hogan, Michael Rafter(0-1), Michael Fagan, Enda Malone, Tom Manning, Conor O'Loughlin, Cillian Starr, Kevin Nolan(0-1), Ollie Walsh(0-2), Adrian Stapleton(1-7), Eddie O'Donoghue(0-1), Davy Ryan(0-3), Derek O'Gorman for Conor O'Loughlin (inj), David Carroll, Jamie Lynch, Cillian Breathnach for Sammy, James Maher.

14th June 2011

Michael Lyng Motors Aylward Cup

Our Senior team had a reasonable start in this Aylward Cup game against John Lockes in Callan, leading by 1-2 to 0-2 after ten minutes, our goal coming from Adrian Stapleton who made full use of a long ball delivered in by Michael Fagan. Unfortunately, it was then all Callan who scored a further 0-7 to 0-0 in an eighteen minute period. A late rally in the dying minutes of the half made the score look more respectful from a 'Boro point of view, Davy Ryan scoring the goal from another long ball in, this time delivered by Kevin Nolan. HT Dicksboro 2-3 John Lockes 0-10.

Weather conditions in the second half could be described as deplorable. A misty rain and poor lighting conditions made quality hurling very difficult and would certainly be a factor for both teams only registering 0-3 each in this half. Weather alone, however cannot be blamed for this defeat and a stronger performance will be required in future games. FT Dicksboro 2-6 John Lockes 0-13.

Panel: Cillian Breathnach, David Carroll, Kieran Cuddihy, Paddy Henderson, David Glynn, Michael Fagan, Kevin Nolan, Enda Malone, Conor O'Loughlin, Tom Manning Martin Gaffney, Ollie Walsh, Jamie Lynch, Adrian Stapleton, Davy Ryan, Mark Nolan for Jamie Lynch, Mikey Hayes, James Maher, Jessie Waters, Ger O'Donoghue, Willie Cuddihy, John Kelly.

9th June 2011

Michael Lyng Motors Aylward Cup

The first round of the Aylward Cup was held at Palmerstown tonight with Dicksboro taking on Mullinavat( the team they beat to join the senior ranks last year). We were without some of our regular players and this gave an opportunity to some others to show their talents. After a slow start, Davy Ryan connected with the sliothar on the ground put it in the net. Eddie O'Donoghue was to add two points before Mullinavat registered their first score and they then added two more for good measure. Eddie suffered an injury in this half and was replaced by Cillian Breathnach. Three points each were traded before the half time whistle. HT Dicksboro 1-5 Mullinavat 0-6.

The start of the second half was similar to the first as again we had scored 1-2 before the 'Vat men got going. Indeed we scored the same in this half 1-5, as we did in first to have a final score of 2-10 whilst we held the 'Vat to 1-1 to give a FT score of Dicksboro 2-10 Mullinavat 1-7.

Panel: Sam Morrissey, David Carroll, David Glynn, Paddy Henderson, Mikey Hayes, Michael Fagan, Enda Malone, Michael Rafter, Kevin Nolan, Conor O'Loughlin, Eddie O'Donoghue, Tom Manning, Jamie Lynch, Martin Gaffney, Davy Ryan, Cillian Breathnach for E.O'Donoghue (inj), James Maher for Kevin Nolan (inj), Willie Cuddihy for E.Malone(inj), Ger O'Donoghue, Peter Fitzpatrick, Mark Nolan.

26th May 2011

St. Canices Credit Union Senior Hurling League

We travelled to Thomastown this evening to take on Carrickshock in our third match of the St. Canice's Credit Union Senior Hurling League. Winning the toss, we opted to play against the strong wind and we also had the disadvantage of playing with the setting sun shining directly into the eyes of our backs. In the first minute, Carrickshock were awarded a 21 yd free, which was struck well by Jamie Power but saved and cleared by David Glynn. In the first thirteen minutes, Carrickshock had put 1-2 on the scoreboard and driven seven wides compared to no score and one wide from the 'Boro. At this stage a good passage of play saw David Glynn collect the ball on our half back line and give a handpass to Kevin Nolan who drove a long ball into the Carrickshock box which was caught by Shane Maher who in turn passed to Paul O'Flynn whose shot was bravely saved by the Carrickshock ’keeper. On the sixteenth minute, it was the turn of Cillian Beathnach to pull off a great save to keep the score at 1-3 to 0-0. Our first score came on the nineteenth minute from Eddie O'Donoghue, who was to add two more points before the half ended. One of these points came from a free after the hard working Philly Hogan had made an excellent clearance. The last three minutes of the half were certainly ones to forget from a 'Boro point of view when Jamie Power and Michael Rohan put the ball into the 'Boro net, which took the gloss off what was a very good defensive display, with Michael Fagan controlling things from the centre back position. Half time score: Dicksboro 0-3, Carrickshock 3-6.

When Adrian Stapleton was fouled in the first minute of the second half, Eddie O'Donoghue put over what was to be the first of four unanswered points from the 'Boro, one of which came from Ollie Walsh from a tight angle forty five yards out. The 'Boro needed goals which never came in this match despite a couple of chances that came our way. Nothing seemed to be going our way, even the wind died and the sun that was in our backs eyes in the first half was now hidden behind cloud. However, goals win matches and so it proved again when Carrickshock ran out winners by 0-13 to 4-10.

Panel: Cillian Breathnach, Danny Kenny, Kieran Cuddihy, Philly Hogan, David Glynn, Michael Fagan, Kevin Nolan, Eddie O'Donoghue (0-10, 8F), Cillian Starr, Paul O'Flynn, Martin Gaffney, Ollie Walsh (0-2), Adrian Stapleton (0-1), Shane Maher, Davy Ryan, Michael Rafter for Danny Kenny (inj), Tom Manning for Shane Maher (inj), Sammy Morrissey, Paddy Henderson, DD Molloy, Jamie Lynch, Michael Hayes, Marco Ruessman, David Carroll.

Match Photos by John Glynn


7th May 2011

St Canice's CU Senior Hurling League – Group A Round 2

James Stephens 3-15, Dicksboro 2-12

In this second round game of the Senior Hurling League played under ideal conditions at Nowlan Park on Saturday evening, May 7th, turned in favour of James Stephens when they scored two goals, one from full forward David McCormack and the second from sub Shane Egan, in the last quarter to seal victory by six points. First on the scoreboard were the ’Boro with a Eddie O'Donoghue free. With play evenly matched early on, the teams were level on four occasions before the Village added five points in-a-row (two frees, three from play) to put them 0-8 to 0-4 ahead. The ’Boro added 1-2 by Eddie O'Donoghue (the goal from play) replied to by a point and a goal just before the break for James Stephens which left the half-time score: James Stephens 1-9, Dicksboro 1-6. Eddie O'Donoghue accounted for 1-5 of the ’Boro's total in this half, with the other point coming from play from Adrian Stapleton from out on the sideline on the new stand side of the pitch. The Village added the first score of the second half – a pointed free by David Walton. Two points from Eddie O'Donoghue (free and a ’65) followed by a goal from full forward Shane Maher put Dicksboro one point up – 2-8 to 1-10. The Village hit back with 1-3 to put them back in front. The ’Boro reduced the deficit with a point from play by Martin Gaffney, followed by a pointed free by Eddie O'Donoghue and a point from play by corner back David Glynn, but a Village free by David Walton and a goal by Shane Egan sealed victory for James Stephens. Scoring from the 'Boro completed with a point from a free by Eddie O'Donoghue and a Village point from play by David McCormack – to leave the final score: James Stephens 3-15, Dicksboro 2-12.
Dicksboro scorers – Eddie O'Donoghue (1-9), Shane Maher (1-0), Adrian Stapleton (0-1), Martin Gaffney (0-1), David Glynn (0-1).
DICKSBORO – Cillain Breathnach, David Glynn, Kieran Cuddihy, Philip Hogan, Michael Fagan, Danny Kenny, Enda Malone, Derek O'Gorman, Ollie Walsh, Paul O'Flynn, Martin Gaffney, Eddie O'Donoghue, Adrian Stapleeton, Shane Maher, David Ryan. Subs: Conor O'Loughlin for D. O'Gorman; Cillian Starr for P. O'Flynn.
Match Photos by John Glynn


24th April 2011 

St. Canices Credit Union Senior Hurling League

No quarter was asked nor given in our debut match at Senior grade after an absence of two years when we played Erins Own, Castlecomer in the first round of the St. Canices Credit Union League today in Freshford.  Exchanges were robust and each ball was hotly contested by both teams.  With only one minute gone, each team had registered their first point, the 'Boro's coming from Martin Gaffney, who was to score all of our points in this half.  With twelve minutes gone, Peader Boran('Comer) had one of the few good goal chances of the match but thankfully he drove it low and wide.  On the 23rd minute, Peader Boran was again bearing down on the 'Boro goal but was then deemed to have been fouled and a penalty awarded. The score was now 0-4 to 0-5 in 'Comers favour and a goal at this stage would have put them in a commanding position, however it was brilliantly saved off the line and cleared.  Further points were exchanged with 'Comer going three points in front at one stage.  On the 31st minute, Paul O'Flynn was fouled in the square and it looked like we were going to be awarded a penalty but only a 20 metre free was given.  This brought us back to within one point of 'Comer, but they then scored two late points in injury time to leave the half time score:  Dicksboro 0-6  Erins Own 0-9. 
'Comer again started the scoring in the second half and we had to wait until nearly the 5th minute before Eddie O'Donoghue fired over a lovely point from the stand side.  Halfway through the half, Derek O'Gorman, who had played very well throughout, was shown a second yellow card and the 'Boro were reduced to 14 men. 'Comer looked like they were going to take full advantage of this situation by adding two more points to their score but on the 17th minute an Eddie O'Donoghue free was converted from all of 100 yards.  This drove on the 'Boro men and three more unanswered points followed, which meant that by the 26th minute the sides were level at 0-14 each, this after 'Comer had been in front throughout the game.  Martin Boran ('Comer) put them back in front on 27 minutes but this was cancelled out  90 seconds later with another O'Donoghue pointed free.  Level again. Within twenty seconds, however, M. Boran again obliged for 'Comer putting them in front again by the narrowest of margins.  With the game 90 seconds into injury time, Shane Maher caught a lovely high ball and deftly handpassed to Martin Gaffney who slotted it over the bar.  No more time was played and we had earned a draw from a game that could have gone from us, but for the dogged determination and never say die attitude of this group of players.
Job done. 
Dicksboro 0-16  Erins Own 0-16

Panel: Cillian Breathnach, David Glynn, Kieran Cuddihy, Philip Hogan, Michael Fagan, Danny Kenny, Enda Malone, Derek O'Gorman, Cillian Starr, Shane Maher, Martin Gaffney, Ollie Walsh, Eddie O'Donoghue, Paul O'Flynn, Adrian Stapleton, Sammy Morrissey, Oisin Walsh, Tom Manning, Diarmuid Molloy, David Ryan, Kevin Nolan, David Carroll, Paddy Henderson, Conor O'Loughlin, Michael Hayes, Jamie Lynch

Match Photos by John Glynn

AIB Club Championship

15th January 2011

Dicksboro travelled to Ruislip on Saturday 15th to play Kilburn Gaels in the All Ireland Intermediate Quarter Final. The game was played after a pitch inspection following two days of rain in the London area. Under foot conditions  were very soft and contributed to many unforced errors. Kilburn  opened the scoring after four minutes with a pointed free by Stephen Alden.  Ollie Walsh quickly responded with a point and Eddie O’Donoghue soon put the Boro into the lead with his first pointed free of the day. Almost immediately Cillian Starr netted his first goal following an excellent interpassing movement involving the entire forward division.
Two further points, one from a free, by O’Donoghue followed two Kilburn points left the score at 1.04 to 0.03. O’Donoghue closed the first half scoring with another free.
( H.T 1.05 to 0.03.)
Martin Gaffney extended the Boro immediately after half time with a long range point from play. The Boro was then shocked when a close in Kilburn free was netted by Ml O’Dwyer the Kilburn number 14. Before  they fully appreciated their improvement position Paul O’Flynn soloed down the right wing before delivering a marvellous point. Not to be out done Kilburn almost stopped many Boro hearts with a low across the goal ball which mercifully did not get the required touch to convert it. Matters were steadied in the eighth  minute when O’Donoghue, playing with the strong wind converted  the first of his two 65s of the day. Following an excellent pass from Cillian Starr Paul O’Flynn pointed to leave the score1.09 to 1.03. The gap widened further with O’Donoghue’s second 65 before O’Dwyer of Kilburn pointed.
Kevin Nolan who had just replaced Shane Maher delivered a long range shot from midfield for Cillain Starr to score his second goal. In the final 10 minutes O’Donoghue scored his fourth free while Starr brought his tally to 2.01. However another shock was in store for the Palmerstown team when a long range shot from Reddin ended in the Boro  net  (2.12 to 2.04).  It was too late to really upset matters and having opened the Boro scoring, Ollie Walsh closed the scoring to sealed a hard fought win.
Overall it was a difficult game to play in with conditions almost unplayable but the Boro lads stuck to their task throughout and fully
deserved their win. This results in a semi final place against St John’s of Antrim currently scheduled for January 30th at a venue to decided.


Sam Morrissey, David Glynn, Kieran Cuddihy, Philip Hogan, Michael Fagan, Danny Kenny, Enda Malone, Derrick O’Gorman, Eddie O’Donoghue (0.07, 4Fs, 2 65s) Paul O’Flynn,(0.02)  Martin Gaffney(0.01) OlliE Walsh, (0.02)Cillian Starr(2.01)  Shane Maher, Adrian Stapleton.. Subs Conor O’ Loughlin for Adrian Stapleton (42 Mins) Kevin Nolan for Shane Maher (47 Mins)

Article by Eddie Holohan. 
Match Photos by John Glynn