Dicksboro GAA Club



Dicksboro - County Intermediate football Champions 2016

While the sporting world was paying homage to Anthony Axel Foley in Thomond Park, Limerick on Saturday, the Dicksboro footballers paid their own tribute to the fallen hero when they dedicated their win in the intermediate county final to Axel, his wife Olive and his two boys, Tony and Dan.

A group of die-hard ’Boro supporters were in Bennettsbridge for the match and they were not disappointed by what they saw.

Facing Blacks & Whites, who drew with the ’Boro earlier in the year during the League, the Palmerstown Pumas got off to the perfect start with two well taken goals and were eight points up before Blacks and Whites had their first score. Skeoughvosteen got back into in the game in the 17th minute with a goal against the run of play. The ’Boro responded well and by half time were six points clear, 2-4 to 1-1.

Blacks and Whites had the aid of a slight breeze in the second half but never threatened and it was the ’Boro who were first to score. They ran out comfortable winners in the end 3-8 to 1-3.

Every player showed great heart and character and while many turn their noses up at Gaelic football, this group of players did their club proud and had a great time doing it and are ready to go back up senior next year.

D.D. Molloy in goals is the rock on which the team is built, while our full back line of Conor Doheny, Kevin Nolan and Eoin McCormick were stingy, denying their men any posession. Equally so the half back line of Eddie O’Donoghue, Philly Hogan and the ciotóg Cillian Starr. Midfield were powerful – Eoin Fennelly and Martin Gaffney did trojan work.

The forwards were always ahead of their men with the half forward line leading the attack with some dazzling footwork – Bill Sheehan could turn on a euro coin while team captain Mikey Hayes and Enda O'Donoghue worked tirelessly. The full forward line has been our real weapon this year and the three lads, Edward Moylan, Mick McAdden and Paul O'Flynn scored 2-6 of our total.

We won't mention the 18 wides or who contributed seven of them.

Aaron Duggan who was centre back all year, was injured and couldn't play although he did help with the celebrations afterwards. Robbie Murphy came on for Enda O'Donogue and got a great point while the Prince of full backs, Kevin Nolan got a cut on the temple (from one of his own players) and had to go off. William (three goals) Cuddihy came on in his place and played really well. Darragh Holohan replaced Paul O’Flynn and scored a goal with his first touch to put the game out of reach of Blacks and Whites. Shane O'Brien came on for Conor Dohney and was fantastic up and down the right wing.

The management did a great job and it is great to see men like Niall Morrissey, Frank Morrissey, Liam Scott and Mick Byrne commit to the fray. Declan Lacey was a fantastic addition as logistics manager and Johhny Keane was the ever dependable water carrier.

Club secretary, Ed Nolan, an unsung hero of this club, did the tweets and the match statistics.

Scorers: Mick McAdden 1-2, Edward Moylan 0-4, Darragh Holohan 1-0, Paul O'Flynn 1-0, Bill Sheehan 0-1 and Robbie Murphy 0-1.


Cillian Buckley got to celebrate winning an All-Ireland with his grandmother, Mary Buckley, Castletownroche, Co Cork   in Croke Park yesterday evening.



Dicksboro senior hurlers claimed a place in the quarter final of the senior championship with a rallying victory over Danesfort in a thrilling replay at the Village grounds on the Kells Road on Saturday evening, Sept 26th, by 0-15 to 1-8.
Richie Mulrooney and his selectors had their homework done and the ’Boro were sharper than their opponents and led for most of the match.
Again teenager Andy Gaffney was our leading scorer with 0-7 with four of those points coming from frees.
Corner backs Enda Malone and Michael Fagan played well after being introduced after the drawn game and the team received a serious boost in the second half with the introduction of Kevin Kenny who also scored a point.
However, nobody can under-estimate the size of the task next weekend. O'Loughlin Gaels beat us well in the League and the final scoreline from that game in Nowlan Park did not reflect their superiority. 
We will not forget the disappointment last year when we were unceremoniously dumped out of the championship at the quarter final stage by St Martin's.
This team has developed well this season and there is great hope but if we don't play to our potential we could be in trouble.


13th September 2015

Senior hurling league

Dicksboro 2-10, Erin's Own 1-7.

Match Photos by John Glynn


Seniors secure senior status for 2016

The senior hurling team had a magnificent win in the final league game of the campaign at Freshford this afternoon.
It means they will play Danesfort in the first round of the championship next weekend. 
Back to today - Richie Mulrooney's charges were too strong for Erin's Own in the second half, winning by six ponts, 2-10 to 1-7.
A goal in the early minutes of the second half by Eddie O'Donoghue steadied the Boro men and they never looked back after that.
Although Castlecomer  missed a succession of chances of the dying minutes of the game, there was always a cushion of at least four points between the two teams.
The score of the match was a wonderful first time strike by Andy Gaffney to the roof of the Comer net in the first half. It was followed by a point by Stephen Farrell. Suddenly, the city men were 1-3 to 0-1 up. The Boro were going well and seemed in the driving seat.

However an easy enough goal from a 65 brought Comer back into it and the sides went in level at the break, 1-5 a piece.
Towards the end of the half, Cillian Buckley took a tumble after being fouled and winning a free. He went off and was holding his arm up, worrying times. Thankfully he re-appeared for the second half and played his part in the win.
Andy Gaffney was the scorer in chief with 1-6 and he played well.
Conditions were not ideal for hurling but the team showed good resolve, character and a bit of patience to win well in the end.
Paul Flynn came on for Darragh Holohan in  the second half, after the latter had acquitted himself well and Enda Malone was a good deputy for Cillian Buckley while he was on the line.
Aaron Duggan was solid in goal and stalwarts Mikey Hayes and Philly Hogan were dependable in the corners while Evan Cody looks something special at full back. Conor Doheny was superb at wing back as was Eoin Gough in the centre and Robbie Fitzpatrick is a born wing back. Ollie Walsh and Cillian Buckley were excellent at midfield.
Up front, the forwards worked well in poor conditions and kept looking for the ball and kept running at the defence and it was that bit of industry that  won it for us.  Stephen Farrell continues to grow in confidence and put over two more points today.
This was a good win which  ensures senior status for next year but it pales into insignificance when you think of the challenge next week.

Team today: A Duggan, M Hayes, E Cody, P Hogan, C Doheny, E Gough, R Fitzpatrick, C Buckley, O Walsh, D Holohan, S Farrell (0-2), E O'Donoghue (1-0), R Murphy (O-1), M Gaffney (0-1),  A Gaffney (1-6). Subs used Paul Flynn and Enda Malone.

24/5/2015 – St. Canice's Credit Union Senior Hurling League Group A (Round 3)


The senior hurlers were fantastic in the second half of the senior league game against Carrickshock at Nowlan Park on Sunday afternoon. 
Eddie O'Donoghue was inspirational when he moved out to the half forward line. He was just fantastic and took his chances with great authority. He scored five from play in 35 minutes and was unlucky not to add a sixth.
There was the small matter of 20 wides over the hour but the team is heading in the right direction and the two changes made at half time worked with Cillian Buckley much more dominant at centre forward. 
He is willing to play anywhere for the team and as a current All Star and senior inter-county player, he always gives 112% for the team. 
Long haired Mikey Hayes may need a hair cut but he certainly gave his man a trimming when he came on in the second half at corner back while Enda Malone was equally as effective and commanded his space with military precision on the other side displaying a hunger for the game. And the man he replaced Robbie Fitzpatrick was very effective up front in the second half.
Again we were dominant for the first ten minutes of the match and had a number of great chances that went a begging before Carrickshock scored a goal from their first serious attack.
We went in at the break five points down and came out in the second half all fired up and had the first two points and to be honest. Carrickshock were extremely lucky to get a draw and got a fortuitous penalty which they converted.
The final score was 0-17 to 2-11 and if the game had gone on another five minutes, we would have won it.
Murt Gaffney had a great game and really showed his mettle in the second half along with Ollie Walsh who blossomed and is beginning to show serious signs of what he we all know he is capable of. In goal, Aaron Duggan was superb and Evan Cody at full back gets better with every game – he looks like a Kilkenny senior hurler.
Conor Doheny is still a minor but minded his corner very impressively, showing a maturity beyond his years (brings it from the mother who hails from Tipp).
Michael Fagan and Eoin Gough are powerul and getting better.
Eoin Fennelly returned to form and was great for 60 minutes. Paul O'Flynn was super throughout and got a great point when it was badly needed. Derek O'Gorman was unlucky to be taken off and he is a fantastic club man and maybe a bit underrated. He also received a bad bang to the side of the head.
The changes made on the line worked and the future does indeed look bright and once we get Kevin Kenny and Robbie Murphy and a number others back and get Oisin Walsh fully fit, we will be a match for anyone. 
A bit of confidence is coming back and dare I say it, we just might be dark horses for the championship. It also proves something else, hard work does pay off, even if it takes a bit of time.
Bring on the Village and Castlecomer but let's hope the lads don't wait til the second half to show us they have guts and heart.
Team and scorers: A Duggan, C Doheny, E Cody, R Fitzpatrick, M Fagan, C Buckley 0-1, E Gough, Ollie Walsh, E Fennelly, M Gaffney 0-9 (0-1 from play), Oisin Walsh, P O'Flynn 0-1, Eddie O'Donoghue 0-5, D Holohan 0-1, D O'Gorman. Subs: M Hayes for O'Gorman, E Malone for Oisin Walsh, Conor Fitzpatrick for Holohan.



Danesfort 0-9, Dicksboro 1-5.

The footballers came very close to winning the County Intermediate final on Saturday with a gutsy performance against Danesfort. In the end it was the free taking prowess of current hurling all Star, Paul Murphy that proved the difference between the teams.
He scored two magnificent 45s against the wind and try as the Boro could, they just couldn’t get the equalising score. In the end it was 1-6 to 0-8. It’s easy to criticise but football in the club has improved and the future is bright with many of the players committing to next year and promising to take part in training sessions. Because in the end, the seven or eight football sessions and two challenge matches that Danesfort had paid off. They passed the ball crisply and moved the ball better than us and it was only in the last 10 minutes that the Boro bucks found their rhythm. Really it was rustiness that beat them and the management must take a share of the blame for not organising training but they will say they were afraid to call training sessions because they thought no one would turn up.
Although the loss in the final is hard to take, the voyage through the league and championship was great fun and every man who put on the jersey on did so with pride.

Clara 1-14, Dicksboro 0-14
The Boro hurlers were really unlucky in the first round of the senior league in James Stephens’ new grounds on the Kells Road.
In the last five minutes of the game they showed too much respect and were too merciful to Clara who scored two unanswered points.
However it was a goal conceded by the Boro defence after 42 minutes that left them trailing by two points.
In contrast, the Boro had a number of goal chances which were squandered and the younger players might have been better off taking points. It’s a hard lesson but one might just pay dividends in tight matches later in the season.
Darragh Holohan had the teams level just after that and when Andrew Gaffney pointed from a free the Boro were a point up and looking hood.
However, that was as good as it got and Clara finished the stronger thanks in large measure to goalie. Kevin Nolan who had a fantastic game and denied the Boro two goals late in the game.
That was the story of the match, Clara made the most of the ball they got. A few missed frees also cost us dear but were not the winning or losing of the match.
It was a great performance and the team were really unlucky to go down by three points to Clara with the final score 1-14 to 0-14.
The Boro were a point down at half time and statistics for the first 30 minutes showed that Clara converted 71% of their chances during that period while the Boro converted 36% of their chances.
To be honest the most important thing to come from this game was the performances of the younger players, from last year’s under 21 team who played well and demonstrated they are well able. Richie Mulrooney and his selectors have a lot to ponder but have the nucleus of a good, young team and the future looks bright, in some ways a lack of experience might also have been a factor.
Has to be said that Boro midfielder Eddie O’Donoghue was denied a perfectly good point in the first half when the ball was wrongly adjudged to have crossed the sideline.
Left half forward, Kevin Kenny was particularly impressive with three points from play. Team: A Duggan, K Cuddihy, E Cody, R Fitzpatrick, M Fagan, C Buckley, E Gough, E O’Donoghue, E Fennelly, D Holohan, O Walsh, K Kenny, A Gaffney, M Gaffney, P O’Flynn.Subs; Robbie Murphy (who was excellent) came in for injured Martin Gaffney early in the first half and Eddie O’Donoghue also went of hurt and was replaced by Adrian Stapleton for the last 10 minutes. Scorers: A Gaffney 0-6, K Kenny 0-3. D Holohan 0-2, P O’Flynn 0-1, M Gaffney 0-1, R Murphy 0-1.

 14th March 2015


Dicksboro’s footballers won the intermediate championship semi-final on Saturday, March 14th  with a hard earned 3-5 to 1-9 win against a much more fancied Erin’s Own side.

It was dynamic second half sub, Ger O’Donoghue who saved manager Sean Keane’s blushes with a well taken goal when the team had just gone two points down. He flicked the ball into the back of the net, just like the Gooch would, and soon after put over a point and it was a lead that the Palmerstown men would not relinquish.

To be honest, it was heart and honesty that won this game and it was only when the team went behind that the lads dug deep and put in a magnificent last 20 minutes.

Referee Eamon Larkin (The Village) had an excellent game and allowed the play to flow and played the advantage rule wisely in favour of both teams.


25th January 2015

Intermediate Football League

Dicksboro 6-3 Danesfort 3-8

The Dicksboro football team won their first round intermediate league game against Danesfort by a point. Watched by up to 50 loyal club supporters at Palmerstown, the team came back from a three point deficit to win in the second half. Danesfort scored a consolation goal in the last minute and only when the final kick out was caught by the bloodstained Kevin Nolan was victory assured. Danesfort with Paddy Hogan in fine form raced into a two point lead before Dicksboro struck for a goal.

At half time it was 2-3 2-0 in favour of Danesfort.

In the first few minutes of the second half, the Boro pounced  for 1-1 and with the wind behind them, controlled long periods of the game before Danesfort came back into it, Danesfort who were crowned 2014 county junior champions two weeks ago were unlucky and could have put daylight between themselves in the Boro but didn't. For Dicksboro, Didi Molloy was solid in goal and varied the kick-out to great effect. The full back line gave their all with John Hanrick shining through in the second half. Wavy haired Mikey Hayes gave his usual 100% while Drew Phelan answered the call and acquitted himself well. The half back line was immense with Willie Cuddihy - playing despite having the flu -  a tower of strength.
Centre half back was Evan Cody and he played with the same passion he did the Sunday before in the Boro’s magnificent under 21 county final win.
On the other wing Darren Duggan was great until receiving a nasty (accidental) back injury. At midfield, bloodstained Kevin Nolan was immense, another great club stalwart with no airs and graces. Eoin Fennelly another hero of the under 21 championship got better and better as the game went on. Up front the flame haired fashionista, Paul O’Flynn was fantastic. Another great club man, he was superb and was aided and abetted by team captain and talisman, Eddie O’Donoghue while Cillian Starr proved why people think so much of him  as an  athlete. He was the difference between the two teams.
Inside the great Ger O;Donoghue set up lots of chances for those around him and Big Martin Gaffney was just a shining light. Every ball that was kicked into him he won while Darragh Holohan another hero of the under 21 success moved back in defence because of injurues and made a huge difference, Subs Graham Egan and James Murphy made telling contrbitions when coming on. The management ream of Tom O’Donoghue, Liam Scott, Niall Morrissey and Sean Keane did their bit on the line ably assisted by Frank Morrissey and club chairman, Eddie Holohan.