Dicksboro GAA Club

Under 21

11th January 2015

Under 21 County Final

Dicksboro 1-16 Thomastown 3-10

In boxing parlance, it would be described as a sucker punch.  Six points to the good, the 'Boro under 21's looked set to lift the under 21 trophy, especially as there was only two minutes of normal time remaining but yet you could see that Thomastown were still hopeful of getting something out of this game.  Two late goals earned them a replay.  There was no fault from any 'Boro player or tactic, it was just one of those things that sport throws up every now and then.  The hope now is that it will make us better and more determined.

Thomastown played with the wind in the first half but still only managed to go in a HT leading by 1-8 to 1-5, their first five points coming from frees and their first score from play was on the twenty first minute.  Thomastown's break came after twenty six minutes when we failed to clear a ball on the 21 yard line, the ball breaking to a 'Town man whose shot was very well saved by Aaron Duggan, only to fall into the path of an oncoming John Donnelly who drove it to the 'Boro net.  Thomastown were now 1-7 to 0-4 to the good. The 'Boro replied almost immediately with an Andrew Gaffney free followed two minutes later by the goal of the day from Kevin Kenny.  Kevins goal started with a simple handpass from Aidan Nolan to Eoin Gough who in turn drove the ball 50 yards down the field to where Shane O'Brien worked hard to break it down.  Kevin latched onto the resulting breaking ball, went on a lightning twenty five yard solo before drilling the ball to the net.

HT Dicksboro 1-5 Thomastown 1-8.

The second half saw Dicksboro aided by the wind and we certainly made the most of it in the early exchanges.  After twenty two minutes, we had outscored our opponents by 0-9 to 0-1, as we lead by 1-14 to 1-9 and it looked like we had them on the ropes but we were to only score two more points in the remainder of the game, a game that had five minutes of injury time played at the end.  The two late Thomastown goals were a disappointment, but we didn't lose....

Match Photos by John Glynn

Video Clip on Dicksboro Facebook Page      Video Clip on Dicksboro Facebook Page


3rd January 2015

Under 21 Northern Championship Final

Dicksboro 2-10 Bennetsbridge 0-14

For a split second, memories of the final moments of our minor county final came flashing back, as Kevin Brennan bore down on the ‘Boro goal in the dying seconds of our under 21 JJ Kavanagh Northern final today.  Dicksboro had thrown the kitchen sink at Bennettsbridge to prevent lightning striking twice but still Kevin got his shot in from 15 yards out, struck with determination and venom but saved by ‘Boro keeper and captain, Aaron Duggan.  Seconds later the full time whistle blew and the ‘Boro were Northern champions by two points.

This was not the ‘Bridges only chance on goal, an early first half effort was charged down by Aidan Nolan to come off his helmet and go over the bar while Evan Cody, more than once, thwarted what could have been a goal.  Our defence was severely hampered in the first half as they faced into a glaring low sun. To a man, each ‘Boro player made a significant contribution to this victory.  Bennettsbridge had two points registered when Conor Doheny supplied Robbie Murphy to score our first point after eight minutes but the ‘Bridge followed this with two pointed frees.  Midway through the half Darragh Holohan was moved out into the half forward line and the positional switch may have caused some confusion in the opposition defence but moments later Robbie Fitzpatrick latched on to a breaking ball twenty yards out and struck a sweet shot into the net.  The game was now level at 1-1 to 0-4.  Darragh followed up with a point which was added to by one each from Eoin Fennelly and a pointed free from Andrew Gaffney to give the ‘Boro the narrowest of advantages at HT by 1-4 to 0-6.

Within four minutes of the start of the second half, Bennettsbridge were level, the first of five times that the two teams would be level in this enthralling half, a half in which no ‘Boro player stood back from ball nor man in what was the best team display from this group so far this season.  Early on, Andrew Gaffney kept the scoreboard ticking over in our favour with his free taking skills and when Robbie Fitzpatrick won a ball on the side-line and delivered a pinpoint pass across the field to Darragh Holohan who promptly buried it in the net, it looked like the game was changing our way as we nosed into a three point lead.  This was to last for all of four minutes as the ‘Bridge clawed back to parity.  When Peter Turley came on for the hard working Shane O’Brien, his first tough was to slip the ball over the bar from fifty yards.  On twenty nine minutes, the game was level again at Dicksboro 2-8 Bennettsbridge 0-14 and then we entered what was to be the last four minutes of frantic play when every half-block and touch was vital.  Andrew Gaffney and Eoin Fennelly sealed the victory in what was a tremendous team effort.

FT Dicksboro 2-10 Bennettsbridge 0-14

Match Photos by John Glynn

Panel:  Aaron Duggan (Capt), Aidan Nolan, Evan Cody, James Gittens, Jim Dollard, Eoin Gough, Rory Glynn, Robbie Fitzpatrick (1-0), Eoin Fennelly (0-2), Robbie Murphy (0-1), Conor Doheny, Andrew Gaffney (0-5, 0-4 frees), Conor Fitzpatrick, Darragh Holohan (1-1), Shane O’Brien, Peter Turley (0-1), Bill Sheehan, Jamie Byrne, Eoin Cantwell, Stephen Tynan, Enda O’Donoghue, James Murphy, Alex Quinlan, John Hanrick, Ruairi Morrissey, Stephen Farrell inj, Kevin Kenny inj.

14th December 2014

Under 21 Championship

Dicksboro 2-17 Clara 1-20

Over 80 minutes of hurling was not enough to separate Dicksboro and Clara, on a bitterly cold December morn at the Kells road venue. Despite the fierce effort from both sides, which lead to more than a few weary limbs, they will be forced to do it all over again next weekend.

It was Clara who sparked into life first knocking over two points without reply in the opening four minutes. The Boro took until the seventh minute to finally get going, but soon found themselves in front thanks to an Aaron Duggan long distance free.

The rest of the half saw each side go tit for tat. Yet as the half time whistle approached Clara put on a scoring spurt to give themselves the lead at the whistle. To make matters worse for the Boro Conor Doheny was forced off after a nasty bang to the head.

The Palmerstown men would have been somewhat disappointed to go in down at the break after playing with a strong breeze for the first period. It was not to matter however a Clara likewise were unable to take advantage.

In fact it was the Boro who took the game to Clara, as Andrew Gaffney and Darragh Holohan got the scores to put the Boro back in front. Again after the early flurry of scores the match settled into the same pattern as the first.

It wasn’t until the final ten minutes or so that things began to get exciting. Clara were first to come within a whisker of raising the green flag only for Duggan to pull off a fine save. Where Clara failed the Boro succeeded as five minutes from time Holohan struck to score what would look like the crucial goal.

As it is with the Boro though things are rarely simple. Losing by four with only moments left Clara somehow managed to claw their way back to level par. The equalising goal coming with virtually the last puck of the game. It was a cruel blow to the Boro and the backline in particular, who’d been marshalled well by Evan Cody all afternoon.

So to extra time we went with the score after 60 minutes reading 1-14 apiece. The Boro though had been dealt another blow just at the end of normal time as Stephan Farrell went off injured, the result of a knock picked up early in the match.

Mid-way through the first period of extra time the Boro struck again with what looked to be another all important goal. A shot by Gaffney from out on the right dropped short only for Shane O Brien to steal in and flick the ball home.

2-17 to 1-17 Dicksboro lead at half time in extra time. Yet once again the Boro faced into the wind for the second half. Even with their bodies cramping badly the Boro side put in Trojan effort to maintain their lead, only to just come up short as Clara got the scores they needed to force the replay.


A Duggan, A Nolan, E Cody, J Dollard, E Gough, R Fitzpatrick, R Glynn, K Kenny, C Dohney, A Gaffney, S Farrell, E Fennelly, C Fitzpatrick, D Holohan, S O’Brien.  Subs Used: R Murphy, E Cantwell, E O’Donoghue, B Sheehan.

Match report by Kevin Nolan. 

Photos by John Glynn.

 9th November 2013

Under 21 Championship

Dicksboro 0-18 James Stephens 0-18

Dicksboro’s under 21A team had a slow start to their championship game against James Stephens at the weekend, waiting until the fourteenth minute to register their first score while the Village had already scored 0-6. We then had a good patch as we added four more without reply and we now were only trailing by a point.  The initiative, however, shifted again in the Village’s favour and we found ourselves behind at HT by 0-12 to 0-6.  Two early points from the ‘Boro at the start of the second half put us back in the game again and by the twenty third minute, the game was level at 0-13 each.  Both sides traded points to also finish level at the end of regulation time at 0-14 and so extra time was needed.  Every score was now crucial as it looked like a single point could be the winner of this encounter.  At the end of the first half of extra time the sides were still level at 0-16 each and it was only in the final minute of the second half of extra time that the ‘Boro took the lead for the first time in the entire game. A very late pointed free from the Village earned them the chance of a replay.  FT Dicksboro 0-18 James Stephens 0-18.  Our under 21B team were unfortunately well beaten by Bennettsbridge in the second game of the day.


26th November 2011

JJ Kavanagh & Sons Nth Under 21 A Championship

Dicksboro 2-7 Barrow Rangers 0-15

Just two points separated these two teams in this Northern Championship semi final held in Fr. Kearns Pk today in a game that we could have won despite going 0-6 to 0-1 down after only ten minutes. We fought back bravely to at one stage bring the game back level just before the half time whistle but a late point from Barrow Rangers meant that they went in leading by 1-5 to 0-9. Our first goal came from a Barrow Rangers 65 which was cleared by Enda Malone and went straight to Cillian Buckley who scored.

The first nine minutes of the second half saw the 'Boro lads score 1-2 without reply from Rangers but we were unable to capitalise on this momentum and failed to score for the remainder of the game. Rangers added six more points to secure their victory.

Match Photos by John Glynn

Panel: Philip Byrne, Gary Gaule, Danny Kenny, Conor Maharaj, Mikey Hayes, David Glynn, Rory Glynn, Kevin Nolan, Enda Malone, Eoghan Gough, Ollie Walsh, Cillian Buckley, Jamie Lynch, Oisin Walsh(Capt), Darragh Buggy, Ciaran Gough, Evan Guilfoyle, Jessie Waters, Brian Dollard, Mike Kealey, JJ Hickey, Aaron Duggan, Darragh Holohan, James Murphy, James Gittens, Daniel Farrell, Enda O'Donoghue, Aaron McDonald.


 22nd October 2011

Michael Lyng Motors Under 21 Nth Championship

Dicksboro 0-7 Erins Own 0-5

This game was held in very poor conditions in Freshford, with heavy rain and wind the order of the day. As a result it was never going to be a classic with heavy, slippery underfoot conditions and a wet ball and hurley. Our only point from play in the entire game came on the twenty eight minute of the first half, all other points coming from frees. Two points separated the sides at HT Dicksboro 0-3 Erins Own 0-5.

Scores were just as difficult to come by in the second half with the 'Boro adding four points whilst 'Comer did not register a score in this half thanks to resolute defending. Our defence was under sustained pressure in the last ten minutes and the addition of five minutes of injury time did not help the nerves as 'Comer, two points behind were going for goal. Thankfully, they did not succeed.

Panel: Philly Byrne, Gary Gaule, Danny Kenny, Conor Maharj, Mikey Hayes, David Glynn, Enda Malone, Kevin Nolan, Ollie Walsh, Martin Gaffney, Oisin Walsh, Cillian Buckley, Darragh Buggy, Brian Dollard, Eoin Gough, Jessie Watters for Darragh Buggy, Jamie Lynch for Brian Dollard.

Match Photos by John Glynn

30th Oct 2010

It proved to be third time lucky for Clara who defeated our Under 21's in Freshford this afternoon.  We had beaten Clara for the last two years in this competition.   The Dicksboro team togged out in their new white Aut Even jersies while Clara wore green.  We had a good start with a well taken point from Martin Gaffney, but scores were hard to come by and indeed there was only one more score
from play from the 'Boro when Martin picked up the ball about 35 yards out and went on a bursting solo run before driving the sliothar low and hard to the Clara net from 21 yards.   Very shortly after this, Clara had a goal chance when a high ball landed in the 'Boro six yard box but this was cleared by Philly Byrne and David Glynn despite pressure being put on them by a Clara forward.  Our other two scores this half came from Ollie Walsh from frees.  Clara did manage to put six points on the scoreboard in the first half (four from frees) but they also drove nine wides to the 'Boro's four.
Half time score: Dicksboro 1-3 Clara 0-6.
With about 15 minutes gone in the second half Dicksboro had only added two more points to their tally and Clara only one.  Clara did
look to be more threatening and could have been more in front but for the work of Gary Gaule, John Traynor, David Glynn, Michael
Fagan, Willie Cuddihy and Danny Kenny.  Enda Malone was giving his usual 100 per cent at midfield while Ollie Walsh was keeping us
in the game with his free taking.  With about five minutes left in normal time the 'Boro were three points clear when Clara were awarded
a 21 yard free.  A well struck shot was saved off the line for a 65 which was converted.  Clara added two more points from play to bring
the match level and with only a minute to play.  We had a chance to clinch this match in the last minute when Ollie Walsh suffered a high
tackle and was awarded a free, which he took himself, but drove narrowly wide while probably still feeling the effects of the tackle.
Score after normal time: Dicksboro 1-9 Clara 0-12.

The first half of extra time saw Clara adding 1-2 to their tally compared to the 'Boro's 0-1.  The Clara goal came after a high ball into the
box was scrambled away by Philly Byrne, only to be returned in and what followed was approximately five seconds of frantic pulling on
the ground by Clara while 'Boro defenders put their bodies on the line before the green flag was raised.  A second goal from Martin
Gaffney was not enough in the second period of extra time to secure a win.
Final score:  Dicksboro 2-11 Clara 2-16.

Match Photos By John Glynn